Monday, February 22, 2010

MAINE!

did it! I travelled across the whole country . . . pretty close anyway. I drove with two other people, Oliver and Pam. We left with a very full car on Wednesday around 7pm. Oliver drove pretty much all night. We stopped off somewhere to sleep, but I don’t really remember that because I was already sleeping, in fact, most of this trip has been such a blur because I’ve been sleeping a lot. I drove for an hour in Nebraska, but I got too tired. I know I’m a wimp. Oliver’s been good enough to drive the whole way. He doesn’t seem to mind, but he must be way tired.

The second day we stopped off at a pony express marker and took some pictures. I thought that was kind of cool, especially since I went on the pony express trail with my family for presidents day weekend in Utah.

We spent last night in Chicago. We stayed with a girl’s parents that Pam and Oliver know from Kieve. Her name was Esther and she was one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met. She was so hospitable and very happy to have us there. She had dinner ready for when we got there, set the table beautifully, and took great care of us!

In the morning she took us to see Lake Michigan. The house was only a couple blocks away from the lake! It’s probably only a 5 minute walk. It was absolutely amazing! You couldn’t see the other end of the lake and there were waves that looked like a ton of fun to go swimming in. I want to come back and jump in, in the summer. I can’t wait until the day I can spend more time in the places I’ve seen and passed by. There’s still so much to experience.

The next night we stayed at Oliver’s sister’s house in Pennsylvania. They were way fun to stay with and so nice! After a very delicious dinner and watching the Olympics Pam and I went to bed /talked until we fell asleep. In the morning I met their two little kids, a little girl named Lilly and a baby boy named Jackson. We played with them until we had to leave in the afternoon.

We made it to the camp around 8 or 9 at night. After moving in, Pam gave me a quick tour of the place and introduced me to as many people as were there. Everyone here is way nice! Then we all walked across Lake Damariscotta, which is frozen over and right next to the camp.

Sunday we went to church and the branch is so homey. I really felt at home!

The new states I have been in are Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine!!!.

It’s all been going great so far! I’ll keep you posted.

Just before we left.

I FIT!

Nebraska

A short hike we took at our rest stop in Nebraska

Goofing off while Oliver slept. :)

Pam, all cozy in the back seat.


The neighborhoods were so adorable in Chicago!

The room we stayed in in Chicago

Pam and Lake Michigan

ha ha this is the only picture I have of Oliver

Me in front of Lake Michigan

Chicago!

I walked across this lake to the middle island.

There is beauty all around!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you had a great drive across country. You will have to post pictures every week. Love you Dad

heisskalt said...

I am sad you are on the other side of the US but I am happy for you to get a fun opportunity! You seem so excited! And Pam went too!? How fun! Is she headed back?
That is exciting! Sounds SO fun!

Penelope said...

Glad you guys made it okay! Looks like it was a fun trip! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your stay!

Penelope said...

P.S. do you know if Pam has a blog?

Stephanie said...

You made it!!!!! I'm so excited for what sounds like quite an adventure. And, really Mandy, I always new you could walk on water--when its frozen. :) Love you!!! Hug Pam for me.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

What a fun adventure! You are a real trooper for traveling that tight. Can't wait to hear more!

elesa said...

Now tell me again what city you are in?

Carissa May said...

Mandy! you're in Maine! Crazy! I had to delay my homework to read your blog. Not much of a sacrifice, but still. You look so cute in front of Lake Michigan!